This article will not only take a look at quotes that are great to read when you have anxiety but also highlight what anxiety is and why we experience it. The article will also provide tips on how to cope with anxiety.
Famous Anxiety Quotes
Quotes can be a powerful tool to cope with anxiety or stressful periods – any source of motivation or hope can go a long way and help people through their most difficult phases in life. There are numerous quotes that can be a source of hope and inspiration as well as motivation when someone is going through an anxiety attack or is stressed out!
This article will provide a list of famous quotes that are quite effective during a phase of anxiety that one can read to calm themselves down! Before we look at them, let us take a look at what anxiety is and why we experience it!
What Is Anxiety?
Everyone has anxiety! It can be about small issues that occur from time to time in your life or bigger events such as your wedding day, a job interview or a huge exam! However, there are some people who experience intense episodes of anxiety where they only have seconds or minutes until the feeling intensifies so much that they cannot function well!
People who have anxiety disorders have excessive, intense and persistent feelings or worries about the future – they are scared about something going wrong or fear that they will panic in a given situation. Such people are unable to function normally in life because of these panic attacks that can occur and intensify within seconds or minutes – this in itself is a very scary feeling.
The feelings experienced during an anxiety attack can be described as follow:
- Out of proportion
- Difficult to Control
Symptoms – Anxiety
Here are some of the symptoms of anxiety:
- Feeling nervous, restless or tense
- Having a sense of impending danger, panic or doom
- Having an increased heart rate
- Breathing rapidly (hyperventilation)
- Feeling weak or tired
- Trouble concentrating or thinking about anything other than the present worry
- Having trouble sleeping
- Experiencing gastrointestinal (GI) problems
- Having difficulty controlling worry
- Having the urge to avoid things that trigger anxiety
Examples of Anxiety Disorders
Here are some of the anxiety disorders people suffer from:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD): It includes persistent and excessive worry about future activities that can be as mundane as locking the doors at night.
- Panic Disorder: It involves repeated instances or episodes of panic attacks where a trigger or no trigger can cause you to experience an attack – in seconds – where you feel an impending sense of doom, breathlessness and chest pain.
- Selective mutism: Is a consistent failure of children to speak in certain situations, such as school, even when they can speak in other situations, such as at home with close family members. This can interfere with school, work and social functioning.
- Agoraphobia: You experience anxiety because of certain places that you think may cause you stress or trap you.
Anxiety Quotes – An Endless List
Here are some famous quotes from the internet on anxiety!
- “Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future.” – Deepak Chopra
- “Smile, breathe, and go slowly.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “You don’t have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.” – Dan Millman
- “Nothing diminishes anxiety faster than action.” – Walter Anderson
- “P.S. You’re not going to die. Here’s the white-hot truth: if you go bankrupt, you’ll still be okay. If you lose the gig, the lover, the house, you’ll still be okay. If you sing off-key, get beat by the competition, have your heart shattered, get fired…it’s not going to kill you. Ask anyone who’s been through it.” – Danielle LaPorte
- “You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.” – Olin Miller
- “You can’t always control what goes on outside. But you can always control what goes on inside.” – Wayne Dyer
- “Don’t worry if people think you’re crazy. You are crazy. You have that kind of intoxicating insanity that lets other people dream outside of the lines and become who they’re destined to be.” – Jennifer Elisabeth
- “Do not let your difficulties fill you with anxiety; after all it is only in the darkest nights that stars shine more brightly.” – Ali Ibn Abi Talib
- “It’s OKAY to be scared. Being scared means you’re about to do something really, really brave.” – Mandy Hale
- “Anxiety was born in the very same moment as mankind. And since we will never be able to master it, we will have to learn to live with it—just as we have learned to live with storms.” – Paulo Coelho
- “I promise you nothing is as chaotic as it seems. Nothing is worth diminishing your health. Nothing is worth poisoning yourself into stress, anxiety, and fear.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it.” – Kahlil Gibran
- “Anxiety is love’s greatest killer. It makes others feel as you might when a drowning man holds on to you. You want to save him, but you know he will strangle you with his panic.”
― Anais Nin
- “After all, what is happiness? Love, they tell me. But love doesn’t bring and never has brought happiness. On the contrary, it’s a constant state of anxiety, a battlefield; it’s sleepless nights, asking ourselves all the time if we’re doing the right thing. Real love is composed of ecstasy and agony.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Witch of Portobello
- “To hear the phrase “our only hope” always makes one anxious, because it means that if the only hope doesn’t work, there is nothing left.”
― Lemony Snicket, The Blank Book
- “It did what all ads are supposed to do: create an anxiety relievable by purchase.”
― David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest
- “Don’t worry if people think you’re crazy. You are crazy. You have that kind of intoxicating insanity that lets other people dream outside of the lines and become who they’re destined to be.”
― Jennifer Elisabeth, Born Ready: Unleash Your Inner Dream Girl
- “Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths.”
― C. H. Spurgeon
- “Understanding the difference between healthy striving and perfectionism is critical to laying down the shield and picking up your life. Research shows that perfectionism hampers success. In fact, it’s often the path to depression, anxiety, addiction, and life paralysis.”
― Brené Brown, The Gifts of Imperfection
- “I’ve spent most of my life and most of my friendships holding my breath and hoping that when people get close enough they won’t leave, and fearing that it’s a matter of time before they figure me out and go.”
― Shauna Niequist, Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way
- “Life is like a game of chess. To win you have to make a move. Knowing which move to make comes with IN-SIGHT and knowledge, and by learning the lessons that are accumulated along the way. We become each and every piece within the game called life!”― Allan Rufus, The Master’s Sacred Knowledge
“If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “By being yourself, you put something wonderful in the world that was not there before.” – Edwin Elliot
- “For fast acting relief, try slowing down.” – Lily Tomlin
- “You have a treasure within you that is infinitely greater than anything the world can offer.” – Eckhart Tolle
- “Don’t be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.” – Maya Angelou
- “More smiling, less worrying. More compassion, less judgment. More blessed, less stressed. More love, less hate.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.” – Marcus Aurelius
- “Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “Stop your whining. If you are frightened, be silent. Whining is for prey. It attracts predators. And you are not prey.” – Robin Hobb
This article provided an overview of what anxiety is and its symptoms. The article also provided some types of anxiety disorders that people experience. Lastly, the article provided a list of famous quotes that are great to read during anxiety.