The current blogspot will be based on the use of benadryl for relieving anxiety symptoms. We will discuss the anti anxiety properties of benadryl medicine and the advantages of using the benadryl medicine for relieving anxiety.
Can benadryl be used for relieving anxiety symptoms?
Benadryl is an antihistamine medicine that consists of diphenhydramine as its active agent. It is an over the counter medicine that is used to treat allergy symptoms such as :
- Runny nose
- Itchy nose
Benadryl is available in the forms of tablets, capsules and liquids in the market to be used as an over the counter anti allergy medicine for ages 6 years and above. The recommended dosage of benadryl is as follows :
- Ages 12 and up: a total of 1 to 2 tablets every 4 to 6 hours
- Ages 6 to 12: a tablet every 4 to 6 hours
- Under age 6: do not take
Besides being an anti allergy, benadryl is being effectively used by people to counter their anxiety symptoms. The benadryl medicine causes a sedating effect that is linked to calming the anxiety and producing the soothing effect for its users.
The recommended dose for benadryl to act as an anxiolytic is 25 and 50 milligrams. The benadryl medicine starts working after 15 to 30 minutes of its intake. The peak effect of medicine happens at about 2 to 4 hours of intake of medicine.
The anxiolytic effect of benadryl is not as effective as benzodiazepines. However, the side effects of sedation and drowsiness create a relaxing effect that overall minimizes the anxiety symptoms.
Research studies have also proven the anxiolytic effect of benadryl. The use of benadryl as an anti anxiety drug has been supported by many researchers. Benadryl may successfully treat anxiety effects among some individuals. However the research needs to be further evaluated in order to highlight the anxiolytic properties of benadryl .
What is the mechanism of action of benadryl for controlling anxiety?
The anxiolytic properties of benadryl occur from its major ingredient’s diphenhydramine effect on the central H1 receptors that are related to histamine. This is through the inverse agonism effect of the benadryl medicine.
The inverse agonism effect of benadryl takes place when histamine is blocked and an inverse effect occurs. The inverse agonism effect of benadryl explains its anxiolytic properties. The binding of the diphenhydramine with M1 receptors, norepinephrine transporters, alpha 1 receptors and serotonin transporters altogether result in the anxiolytic properties of benadryl.
Similarly the sleeplessness and insomnia due to anxiety is reduced significantly due to the sedating effects of benadryl and thus it makes benadryl an effective medicine to reduce anxiety.
What are the advantages of using benadryl for anxiety?
Following are the advantages associated with using benadryl for anxiety relief:
- A lower risk of dependence and withdrawal as compared to the other anxiolytics
- Benadryl aids sleep and relaxation among the anxiety patients
- Benadryl is easily accessible and affordable for everyone
- Benadryl is potentially useful for short term treatment of anxiety
- Benadryl may be a helpful supplement for treatment through psychotherapy
What are the limitations of using benadryl for anxiety?
Following are the limitations associated with using benadryl for anxiety relief:
- Benadryl is not an effective anxiety medicine
- Benadryl may cause physical dependence to the drug if used for long as an anxiety reducing drug
- Benadryl is only an escape from anxiety situations and nat a healthy coping drug therapy
- The potential side effects of benadryl may be evident if its used for long for anxiety relief
- Benadryl is not approved by food and drug regulatory authority for treating anxiety
What are some safety considerations for taking benadryl?
Following are some of the safety considerations for taking benadryl:
- Do not exceed more than 6 tablets of benadryl in 24 hours
- Remember benadryl is only a short term treatment, avoid taking it for long periods
- While being treated with benadryl, avoid other sedatives and recreational drugs like alcohol and weed.
- Benadryl produces drowsiness, hence it is recommended not to use any machines or not to drive while being in the effect of medicine.
The current blogspot focused on the anxiolytic properties of benadryl. We learned that benadryl is a drug of choice for many patients going through anxiety and stress. The sedating effects of benadryl produce a calming and soothing reaction that lowers the muscular tension and somatic complaints of anxiety patients. We also discussed the advantages and limitations of using benadryl for anxiety.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs): Benadryl for anxiety
Does Benadryl help with anxiety and panic attacks?
Yes, benadryl is a fast acting, efficient and convenient way to treat anxiety and manage stress. The sedating and soothing effects of benadryl appear due to its sedating effects.
Can you use Benadryl for anxiety?
Benadryl has anti anxiety effects due to its inverse agonism effect. The sedating and calming effect of benadryl helps to reduce the stress and anxiety features of the anxiety.
Can you take Benadryl with vistaril?
Using benadryl with vistaril can result in increased side effects that are :
Can Benadryl help with anxiety for dogs?
Diphenhydramine may relieve symptoms of mild-to-moderate anxiety in pets associated with travel. It also may help relieve motion sickness. The diphenhydramine is the major ingredient in benadryl that produces drowsiness and thus calms anxious dogs.