The current blogspot will be based on the question “what is the similarity and difference between sertraline and citalopram. We will learn the differences and similarities between sertraline and citalopram. We will compare and contrast the advantages and side effects of sertraline and citalopram.
What are the similarities between sertraline and citalopram?
The medicine sertraline and citalopram both have in common the following characteristics:
- Sertraline and citalopram both belong to the antidepressant drugs
- Sertraline and citalopram both are selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors
- Sertraline and citalopram work towards decreasing the depression symptoms by working on the neurotransmitters related to serotonin reuptake
- Sertraline and citalopram both have their metabolism carried out in the liver.
- The consistent concentrations of sertraline and citalopram are both reached in the body within one week of the intake of medicine.
- The maximum therapeutic potential of both sertraline and citalopram is reached after several weeks of intake.
- Both sertraline and citalopram have drug interactions with monoamine oxidase, other selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, pimozide, triptans and tricyclic antidepressants, Fentanyl, Lithium, Tramadol, Buspirone,Amphetamines, St. John’s Wort, NSAIDs, Aspirin, Warfarin, Cimetidine, Ginkgo, Lamotrigine, Phenytoin, Carbamazepine, Zolpidem, Propafenone, Atomoxetine, Metoprolol, Nebivolol.
- Both sertraline and citalopram are not considered safe for use during pregnancy
- Both sertraline and citalopram are considered safe to be used by breastfeeding mothers.
What are the differences between sertraline and citalopram?
The differences between sertraline and citalopram are as follows :
- Sertraline and citalopram are both antidepressants but in addition sertraline is also used to treat major depressive disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, panic disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, social anxiety disorder and premenstrual dysphoric disorder.
- Sertraline is manufactured under brand name of zoloft and citalopram as celexa
- Sertraline is available in medicine and oral suspension forms but citalopram is only available as oral tablets.
The current blogspot focused on comparing the characteristics, qualities and side effects of sertraline and citalopram. We discussed the efficacy of sertraline and citalopram and contrasted the effectiveness of using both drugs.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs): Sertraline vs Citalopram
Is citalopram and sertraline the same?
Citalopram and sertraline are both categorized as antidepressants that belong to the class of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.
Does citalopram have less side effects than sertraline?
Sertraline has a shorter half life than citalopram. Sertraline has lesser side effects than citalopram. Like citalopram, sertraline’s constant concentrations in the body are reached after nearly 1 week of intake. The maximum therapeutic potential of citalopram is reached after several weeks.
Which is the strongest antidepressant?
Amitriptyline which is a tricyclic antidepressant is the most effective antidepressant. The chances of treatment response increases by two folds due to the amitriptyline antidepressant.
Is Celexa or Zoloft better for anxiety?
Celexa has been considered a good option for treating depression. The side effects of celexa are not as prominent as compared to other drugs. It is known to improve mood and aid relaxation. However the celexa is not recommended for people with liver and heart issues.