Why Hasn’t My ESA Been Paid Today? (4 Reasons Why)

This article will look at the reasons why your ESA has not been paid yet. Furthermore, the article will highlight what types of benefits you can claim if you are availing ESA and what you can claim.

Why Hasn’t My ESA Been Paid – 4 Reasons Why

Here are the 4 reasons why your ESA has not been paid:

  • You Are Getting Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • You Receive Income Related ESA
  • You Are Not Under State Pension Age
  • You Have Not Paid Enough National Insurance Contributions

Here are other reasons why you may not be receiving your ESA benefits:

  • You made a mistake in your applications
  • You do not qualify because you do not have a recognized illness or disability
  • You earn enough
  • You have never worked before
  • Your claim has expired and you were not awarded more benefits.

You Are Getting Jobseeker’s Allowance

If you receive Jobseeker’s Allowance then you are not eligible for ESA because both benefits fulfill a similar purpose. However, there are other benefits you can receive and still be eligible for ESA. They are discussed below!

Other Claimed Benefits

Sometimes you can claim ESA even when you are getting other benefits. However, in some circumstances you cannot claim ESA if you are getting other benefits that help you in your daily life.

As a claimer, you can get ESA even if you are getting other benefits like PIP or Universal Credit. However, if you are availing Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) or Income Support. Then you are not eligible for this type of ESA.

What Is PIP?

PIP stands for Personal Independence Pay that is a non-taxable benefit which can be availed by people who suffer from a long term condition or injury that affects their daily life activities and mobility. 

This means they cannot walk properly or carry out simple or basic tasks such as eating properly or doing simple well being tasks like taking a bath. This benefit is given to people not based on the condition itself but the way it affects the person and their life activities.

It takes quite some time because of the information the concerned department has to process with regards to your case. In this case, the concerned department is the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) which will make a decision after you have completed your medical assessment and have sent in other relevant documents such as your claims and the notes made by the health professional during or with regards to your medical assessment.

Thus, the following 3 sources of information are taking into consideration:

  • Your Claim
  • Your Medical Assessment
  • Health Professionals Comments

Universal Credit

Universal credit is the United Kingdom’s social security payment system for its citizens.  income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, and Income Support; Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit; and Housing Benefit. 

Regardless of the number of children you have, you can apply for this benefit and thus if your claim is successful you will receive monetary benefits to assist in caring for your children that are dependent on you. Also, if these children are above 16 years of age you may still get this benefit if they are enrolled in basic education and not any advanced form of training or skill based education.

You Receive Income Related ESA

There are types of ESA and if you receive the Income Related ESA it is possible you may not qualify for it because you have enough savings. The three types of ESA have been described below.

There are 3 types of ESA are:

  • New Style Employment and Support Allowance: You may receive this benefit if you are sick or have a disability that affects your ability to work. What is unique about this benefit is that it is not affected by how much you or your partner earn or save. New Style ESA is a fortnightly payment that can be claimed on its own or at the same time as Universal Credit (UC). New Style ESA is a contributory benefit. Normally, this means you may be able to get it if you’ve paid or been credited with enough National Insurance contributions in the 2 full tax years before the year you’re claiming in.
  • Contributory employment and support allowance (ESA): Contributory ESA is more commonly known as contribution-based ESA – as the name suggests, it is based on the National Insurance contributions that you have paid within a set time period. Under Universal Credit, rather confusingly, contributory ESA is known as ‘new-style’ ESA. Some of law follows the Universal Credit rules, rather than ESA
  • ESA: This type of ESA is the one before the ‘New Style’ one and this is affected by how much your partner earns or how much you earn.

You Are Not Under State Pension Age

If you are too old then you may not receive this benefit because you would become eligible for pension.

You Have Not Paid Enough National Insurance Contributions

To be eligible for ESA you not only need to have worked once or be ill or have a disability that affects how much you can work – please note that you can be self-employed or unemployed when claiming for ESA – but also you need to have paid enough national insurance contributions.

What Is Employment Support And Allowance (ESA)?

Employment Support and Allowance or ESA is a benefit that is available to people in the United Kingdom if they have a health condition or disability that affects how much you can work. In the current situation, people who were unable to work because of the coronavirus are also eligible for this benefit.

ESA gives you:

  • money to help with living costs if you’re unable to work
  • support to get back into work if you’re able to


An interesting question that pops up when it comes to ESA is whether or not someone is eligible. It is necessary to clarify that you do not need to be employed at the moment to be eligible for this benefit. However, it is necessary to have worked before or have been self employed in the past. It is also mandatory that you must have paid enough national insurance contributions in the last 2 to 3 years to qualify for ESA.

You can be employed, self employed or unemployed when claiming ESA. It is also possible to get Universal Credit at the same time or you could just apply for the New Style ESA – however, there are different conditions that surround this type of ESA which we will discuss later.

ESA & The Covid Pandemic

You can apply for ‘new style’ ESA if you’re unable to claim Statutory Sick Pay and one of the following applies:

  • you or your child might have COVID-19 or you’re recovering from it
  • you or your child are self-isolating because you came into contact with someone who might have COVID-19
  • you’ve been advised by your doctor or healthcare professional to self-isolate before going into hospital for surgery

If you’re claiming ESA because of COVID-19, you’ll need to give evidence to support your claim.

What Do I Get?

This is another question many people have when applying for ESA. This depends on whether you are working or in the ‘support group’. Nonetheless, there are different things to consider.

What I Get When My Claim Is Being Assessed?

If your claim is being assessed then you will receive the following:

  • up to £59.20 a week if you’re aged under 25
  • up to £74.70 a week if you’re aged 25 or over

Usually it takes up to 13 weeks to assess your claim and decide how much you will get. However, in case this deadline passes and a decision has still not reached you then you will continue to receive the above amounts.

What Happens When The Assessment Is Over?

Once the assessment has been completed and you are declared eligible for this certain benefit then you will fall into either of the two groups:

  • up to £74.70 a week if you’re in the work-related activity group
  • up to £114.10 a week if you’re in the support group

You are paid ESA after every 2 weeks.


This article explained why you may not be receiving your ESA benefits and also highlighted what circumstances allow you to receive the benefit and which don’t. The article also provided an in-depth understanding of what ESA is and highlighted that you can still receive it if you are also getting universal credit or PIP benefits.



Please give us feedback

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *